Maintenance/Changes on pattern-collections

As you might know, at first I was relocating to the Caribbean with limited access to the internet for 12 months. Then I returned to Germany to tend my terminal ill mother. During that time I did not have much opportunity to do the maintenance on the website. Now is the time to look at pattern-collections with a more critical eye.

The purpose of the website is to provide a platform for pattern designers to display their patterns and inspire artists. The site must be easy to navigate and provide a variety of means to locate patterns. We now have reached a point where the sheer amount of patterns listed is overwhelming.

Redesigning the structure was not so difficult once I realized what I am looking for when browsing.

When I first started the website, the principle was clear. I laid that out by defining the meaning of a pattern used in art back in January 2016: “A pattern in art consists of lines and shapes that are repeated“.

In the meantime, we had a multitude of pattern submissions that do not conform to this principle. And all these step-outs need their place on the website. But these step-outs should not be mixed with patterns that conform to the standard of containing repetition. There must be a way for me to see all patterns that allow me to get into the “zone” and experience “flow”. It’s one of the main aspects of Creative Pattern Tangling.

Repetition patterns are listed when you browse patterns by alphabetical order, and also when you browse

0-9 A B C D etc…

by Framework.

Grid Ribbon Orb Freeform Filler

and by Skill Level (currently under review)

Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3 Expert

and by Shape (still adding all the patterns)

C-Shape S-Shape Drop  Hearts Patterns containing Spirals Volute Brackets

and CPT Technique. (still adding all the patterns)

Auras Expand Feathering Folded Paradox Weaving Wrap-It Wrapping

All other step-outs that do not include any sort of repetition have their place too. We created a new section where patterns are listed by Theme.

Flowers Gems, Stones, Diamonds and Crystals Mandala Mehndi inspired Ornaments Rangoli

Steampunk

ART Samples Triggers/Doodles Halloween Christmas patterns

There is no need to wade through tons of patterns when you a looking for something specific like a step-out for a Flower, or a step-out to complement that Gem you wanted to include in your artwork.

The category ART Samples contains step-outs that show specifically how to draw an art project/item and may even contain more than 7 steps.

A new category is dedicated to Triggers that might inspire you to apply some sort of repetition or show how to apply techniques to shapes, but are not clearly defined as a proper pattern in the step-out. Pattern designers are encouraged to review their older submissions and maybe update their step-out.

We will be adding more categories in the near future too!

To access these categories, click the relevant link on the menubar.

Menubar

Alternatively, when browsing on your phone, click the 3 bars next to the Home icon.

Menu1

A submenu will open and you can select from there.

Menu2

And of course, we also list all step-outs by the designer. Any pattern designer that submitted 5 or more patterns is listed individually on this page. Yes, previously every designer was listed individually irrelevant of how many patterns were published. The list got too long and the maintenance was too time-consuming. All other designers can be found under Various Designers.

If you know the name of the pattern, simply click the Search button on the top bar of the screen.

Searchbutton

Type the name of the pattern in the box and click the magnifying glass.

It may not seem like much, but I have been putting in many hours to categorize all the patterns. After a few hours of staring at each step-out in detail, I may have made a mistake along the line. This is an ongoing work in progress as we constantly review each category.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!
Hugs,

Ina & Nicole

18 thoughts on “Maintenance/Changes on pattern-collections

• July 26, 2019 at 8:01 pm

WOW… WOW… WOW…you have a MASSIVE amount that you maintain. I want you to know that I, for one, appreciate all you do and share. You’re so kind and generous to ALL!!! ❤️

• July 26, 2019 at 8:13 pm

Thank you for all your hard work and time in sorting things out for us. I much appreciate the easier search in separate categories instead of wading through all the designs and getting overwhelmed.

• July 26, 2019 at 9:09 pm

Thank you so much for all the work you do. I think that you should charge an annual membership fee to help cover the cost. I know that we can purchase the booklet annually, but somehow that does not seem enough reimbursement for you.

• July 27, 2019 at 9:43 am

It’s just a hobby for all of us. The occasional eBook covers the cost – not the time, but we all do this for fun, right? 🙂 There are so many tanglers out there that really cannot afford to pay for a membership. And that’s when we, as a community, jump in. Someone actually bought 5 copies of the eBook. Doesn’t make sense, because you only need to download it once. But that was her way of contributing to the cost.

• July 26, 2019 at 10:14 pm

Thanks for your hard work and for caring about the navigation through the website. What a huge undertaking.

• July 26, 2019 at 10:55 pm

• July 26, 2019 at 11:45 pm

Many, many thanks for all the time and effort you put in to provide us with this wonderful resource. We appreciate all that you do. Thank you xoxo

• July 26, 2019 at 11:55 pm

I really do appreciate all the work you do for the website, thank you so much

• July 27, 2019 at 2:12 am

Wowser – what a lot of work! Thanks a heap, I really appreciate it. This is a great site.

• July 27, 2019 at 9:38 am

Each and every one of these encouraging comments are highly appreciated. Thank you!

• July 27, 2019 at 3:55 am

Ina, do you ever sleep? Such a lot of thought and then work! Thanks for all you do!e

• July 27, 2019 at 9:37 am

..haha.. It’s way too hot to sleep right now. I might as well sit in front of my fan all night long! 🙂

• July 27, 2019 at 9:25 am

What an amazing collection of patterns you have organized and presented to those interested in tangling art and CPT. Thank you for your talent, dedication and encouragement. When I considered creating this type of art which I thought of as doodling, I never would have imagined that there was the possibility of so many designs and conceptions. At times, I find it a bit overwhelming. I am trying to concentrate on the simple, flowing designs. Again, Thank you for your efforts.

• July 27, 2019 at 9:37 am

Thank you, Kathleen.
      I know exactly how you feel! There are just so many patterns around now. But, of course, I have a plan ..haha.. Once tanglers understand that there are base patterns that will look completely different after applying any of the CPT techniques, they will only look for those basic patterns. And that will be a section of it’s own soon 🙂

• July 29, 2019 at 7:12 am

Wow you realized a fabulous job , it will help me, thank you so much !!!

• August 10, 2019 at 5:02 am

Thank you so much for your time and effort. Without you I could not do this hobby. There are no instructors near me or at least none that want to teach. I think this new organization makes self – teaching feasible and logical. Again, I really appreciate all that you do.

• August 10, 2019 at 9:32 am

Thank you, Gwen. I still need to do a new CPT online beginners course that is tailored to the new structure. Enabling people to teach themselves is the goal. And for anyone that struggles, but has no coach nearby, there are some certified CPT coaches that will offer online training as well. This way I can concentrate on teaching more coaches and maybe one day you have a whole group of tanglers in your area that can tangle together 🙂