Creative Pattern Tangling Journey – Part 1

Creative Pattern Tangling
Welcome to this first post in a series of Creative Pattern Tangling.

The only requirement to join this journey is that you know how to follow a pattern step-out. Grab some scrap paper and let’s get started!

We begin by learning about base patterns and different techniques that can significantly enhance your tangles.

Base Patterns

Base patterns are structures from which many patterns originate. Here are a few examples:

Square Grid Base Pattern Diamond Grid Base Pattern Hex Grid Base Pattern

In this first session, we will explore how applying different fill options can change a base pattern. Below are examples to get your creative juices flowing.

Pick any of the above base patterns and fill the sections with lines as shown in the example below.

CPT Fill Options

You have already created your very own pattern that can be used in your drawings. Let your imagination roam free: rotate the lines, rotate sections of the grid, change the way you shade the sections, vary the line strength or use a solid fill. Each one of these base patterns provides unlimited opportunities.

Let’s explore other base patterns that were created using the above technique.

T by Ina Sonnenmoser Spike by Ina Sonnenmoser Calvin by Ina Sonnenmoser

By rotating each section different results can be achieved. In combination with fill options or by drawing the original grid in pencil the possibilities are endless.

Today I would like to introduce a few techniques as well.

Below you find a technique that I call the Single-fold. Applied to a square grid with various rotations. Underneath that is the same principle applied to a diamond grid. I nearly got stuck for hours playing in this manner. There are still many options that you can explore.

CPT Single Fold

The next technique is similar. I refer to it as Folded. Below you find this technique applied to a regular square grid and beneath, applied in the hex grid.

CPT Technique Folded

I do not want overload you with more possibilities today. This journey will continue on Saturday. Looking forward to your creations. Please do not forget to share your discoveries in one of our Facebook groups: Pattern-Collections or the CPT Support Group.

If you cannot wait to learn more or would like to support this website, please check this page: https://pattern-collections.com/index.php/cpt/

This page also contains a list of certified CPT coaches!

Hugs,
Ina

8 thoughts on “Creative Pattern Tangling Journey – Part 1

• May 31, 2018 at 10:00 pm

Thank you so much Ina. I know it was a lot of work and it is wonderful!!

• June 15, 2018 at 8:32 pm

thanks it stirs the imagination and inspire us to try, practice discover

• August 25, 2018 at 11:00 am

Whicch one has the patterns with thwir steps? Which one ia the fist one and is ther a bundle to be able to get more than one

• August 25, 2018 at 2:56 pm

I am sorry, but I don’t understand the question?

• August 25, 2018 at 8:13 pm

Im sorry…do aby of the books have the patterns ans their steps?

• August 26, 2018 at 8:20 am

Hi Heather.
      No, there isn’t a book that contains all patterns. We have over 1600 patterns listed currently and we add average 3 new patterns a day. That makes it quite impossible to bring out a book.
      Hugs,
      Ina

• August 27, 2018 at 10:44 pm

Hi Ina! I first want to thank you for such a great job you have done putting this all together for newbies like me that want to learn but don’t know where to start! I am 58 years old and have been Thur a lot of trauma in my life and have just about ready to give up. I started learning hand lettering and then came across zentangle art. I was amazed and wanted to read and learn what I could. So I am trying to find out where is the best place to start. I think i found it! Could you please advise me if this is where I need to start or if there is another way you would suggest. Thank so much for your time! You do know I hope that your time is the best thing you can offer people! So God Bless you!! Your friend in tangle Lisa Watkins.

• August 28, 2018 at 7:33 am

Dear Lisa.
      Yes, the Creative Pattern Tangling Journey is the best place to start. Once you completed the journey, you will have a great understanding of patterns and how to apply them to templates.