Neurographic Inspired Tangling

Hello everyone.

It’s been a while since I send out a post. For quite some time I’ve been unable to focus on tangling. Slowly I am finding my creativity again. And now I can confirm that muscle memory isn’t lost when you stop drawing for some time. I still cannot draw ovals. They end up as circles every single time! LOL

I got inspired by Pascale Simon. She has been posting neurographic inspired art in our Facebook group for quite some time. A few years ago I looked into this concept, but at the time I was so involved in drawing patterns, that this style didn’t appeal to me.

What is neurographic inspired tangling?

In 2014 the Russian psychologist Pavel Piskarev came up with the therapeutic concept of neurographica. There is a whole thought process behind it and you will find tons of YouTube videos explaining it in detail.

When we tanglers “get stuck” and don’t know what to draw, I will definitely recommend to have a go at neurographic inspired tangling.

So, how do you get started?

It is quite simple. Draw random lines, circles, spirals, or shapes.

Keep adding more lines and shapes. The beauty of this is, your lines don’t need to be perfect. Imperfection actually adds to the charm of the drawing!

Now it’s time to add some corner rounding:

You can also add little humps as shown in 2. to add even more interest to the drawing.

Continue adding lines or shapes until you are satisfied with the result. Here are 2 examples that do not contain any added patterns or embellishments:

Neurographic inspired art by Ina Sonnenmoser 1

Neurographic inspired art by Ina Sonnenmoser 2

Alternatively, you can add some patterns and embellishments.

Neurographic inspired art by Ina Sonnenmoser 3

Neurographic inspired art by Ina Sonnenmoser 4

And there is still so much more to explore!

As always, I am curious where your imagination will lead you and I hope to have inspired you once again. Give Neurographic Inspired Tangling a try and share your art with us in the Facebook group.

Wishing you a Happy Mother’s Day!

Hugs,

Ina

11 thoughts on “Neurographic Inspired Tangling

• May 7, 2021 at 8:07 pm

This is a very different method of doing neurographica than I learned last year, although the end results are the same, as are the goals. Certainly, this particular method is much easier than having to carry a penny with me in my portable stash of drawing supplies!

• May 17, 2021 at 7:46 am

Joyce, this is by no means neurographica. This is art, inspired by neurographics. We use it as a starting point for our tangling. I hope you have fun creating your version of neurographic inspired art!

• May 7, 2021 at 9:31 pm

This is brilliant. It’s so cool to not have to draw straight lines. Yay..will have to try this. Safe and well. Little Feather.

• May 17, 2021 at 7:47 am

I think it takes away a lot of pressure if you know that your lines don’t need to be perfect.

• May 19, 2021 at 1:41 am

i just saw your post yesterday and I’m a little obsessed integrating it with some of my other styles. I was in a slump and this got me out of it. Thanks for sharing your talents and inspiring the rest of us

• May 8, 2021 at 10:46 am

Thanks for this interesting and helpful post!!! Glad you’re back

• May 8, 2021 at 4:01 pm

Help with ovals: Practice drawing them in two parts for awhile, instead as one continuious line. Make your first ones either vertical or horizontal until you build muscle memory. Make first line a elongated C: do the top curve make the line down longer than the width of the top curve then make do your second part of the the oval by lifting your pen or pencil and starting at the top curve, go down and curve to meet the bottom of your first line. When I was very young this is how I taught myself to do both circles and ovals. I had a art teacher that the first day of class said to the class, “if you want a perfect circle use a compass, if you want a straight line use a ruler, that is what tools are for. If you just want organic circles and lines draw it. I loved that teacher for giving me permission to not be perfect. I’m 70 now still love drawing. Really love this lesson, great first email from your site. Thank you and hope I didn’t offend.

• May 17, 2021 at 7:51 am

Imperfection makes our art unique – that is one aspect of art that no computer can emulate.

• May 14, 2021 at 9:55 am

I just finished my first neurographic zentangle inspired art, want to show it as you asked, but can’t find the facebook group. Please help me.

• May 17, 2021 at 7:55 am

Hi Annemarie. The link to the Facebook group is here. Please note: This is NOT a Zentangle group, nor is this a Zentangle related website.